Discover Alicante's Monuments of the Past
Santa Cruz Hermitage
The best way to take in the Alicante Architecture is to take our suggested 'mini-tour'. The great thing about this is that it is on foot, so pack your trainers! You will get a good feel for Alicante itself, you will also pass museums, plazas and restaurants. Stop off, sit down take in the atmosphere and learn as much as you can about this interesting city.
Looking for car hire? Read our essential guide on Alicante car hire
before booking. You will save money.
Map of the walk - 1.4 miles
View Alicante Architecture in a larger map
Don't forget your camera before starting on this walk!
If you are driving into Alicante park at the underground car park at Plaza Puerta Del Mar. Take the short walk over to the Castle Santa Barbara, this is where our walk starts. Enter through the long tunnel and take the lift up through the rock to the top. You will be greeted with stunning views of Alicante.
- When you have finished at the castle....
- Back down the lift and out through the tunnel onto Calle de la Virgen del Socorro
- Cross the road here using the footbridge (very busy road). Continue onto Paseo de Gomez which runs parallel with Playa del Postiguet
- Before the roundabout cross the road at the zebra crossings (turning away from the beach).You are now on Ave de Juan Bautista Lafora - take a right (walking back in the direction you came). Walk to the end of
the block and take the first left (before the gardens).
- Walk along here and then take the second left onto Calle de Jorge Juan. Here you will see the Santa Maria Basilica. It is on your right up some steps. There are signposts so you shouldn't miss it.
- Continue on Calle de Jorge Juan, take a left onto Calle de San Telmo, first right and then right back towards the Esplanade. The building on your right on the corner the Edificio Carbonell Building.
- Return the way you came until you reach the Plaza del Ayuntamiento, 1 which should be straight in front of you where you will find the Alicante City Hall
- When you leave the Town hall walk the opposite way to the traffic and take the first left, then the second left and you will find Las Agustinas Convent
- From here follow the one way system and this will take you onto Calle de San Nicolas. Take a left (towards the sea) walk and towards Plaza Abad Penalva, where you will find San Nicolas Cathedral
- Continue on Calle de Miguel Soler until you reach the main road of Rambla de Mendez Nunez. When you reach Calle General Coded take this (left). Walk one block and the Alicante Theatre is here
- After visiting this building continue up Avenida Constitution until you are on Av de Alfonso El Sabio. Cross the road and Alicante Market is in front of you.
This is a refreshing and enjoyable walk. There are photo opportunities around every corner and you will also pass Museums and Parks and gardens. This walk will bring you the best of Alicante's historic architecture.
There are a number of other buildings in Alicante that you may wish to visit that are not on our walk.
Santa Faz Monastery
Alicante Provincial Council
Santa cruz hermitage
San Roque Hermitage
Return from Alicante Architecture to Discover-Alicante home page
Return to top